Psychiatry & Psychology--General/paranoia

Question
I already see a doc for B.P.D.  BUT I THINK ITS MORE THAN THAT.  I HAVE BEEN PARANOID A LOT LATELY. I FREAK OUT WHEN SOMEONE KNOCKS AT THE DOOR. I EVEN TIP TOE THROUGH OUT THE HOUSE AND  PEEK THROUGH THE BLINDS.  I ALSO FEEL THIS WAY WHEN MY CELL PHONE RINGS OR I GET A TEXT. I DONT WANT TO LOOK AT THE PHONE NUMBER OR TEXT BECAUSE IM PARANOID.  ITS BENN DRIVING ME CRAZY, ESPECIALLY THIS PAST TWO MONTHS. I DIDNT TELL MY DOC. CAUSE I DONT WANT HIM TO THINK IM CRAZY. IS THERE A REASON FOR THIS PARANOIA.

Answer
If it's driving you crazy, then you're not, because that's a normal and healthy reaction, so by all means talk to your doc about it.

Paranoia can be hard to treat (often because the patient thinks everyone, including the doc, is out to get him), but in your case it might be simply anxiety perhaps with, as you know, a tendency to over-react, especially to whatever provokes the discomfort.

There are ways of handling this, I can't do it from here, you seem intact enough to be able to benefit from them, you can't do it yourself, and you're already seeing a professional (good for you), so please MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!  In any case, docs never judge their patients as crazy or not, but only in terms of how they can do the best for them.

Meanwhile, thanks for asking us, and the best of luck in getting proper help for surviving this episode in your life. Which is exactly what your doc's for.

Alan

_____

If your doc is a psychiatrist, then that's who can probably best help you manage your reactions. If it's a family doctor, you might want to ask about a referral to a mental-health specialist like a psychiatrist. And if you find it difficult to discuss your experiences and reactions, you could just print out your letter to me and hand it over to be read.

And thanks for the generous feedback ratings!

A.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach