Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Pain

Question
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right category...I'm a 40-year-old mother of 3, diagnosis ADHD, BIPOLAR II, General Anxiety, Borderline Personality Disorder, Binge Eating D. Obesity.   I'm just wondering if it's normal to like pain???  Not sexually, but if I have a headache, toothache, any kind of pain, I really like it.  I was phisicaly abused as a child, and now my son is violent with me, and I welcome it, I think I deserve it. (He has mental health issues, too).  I do not self-inflict as my pain threshold is actually low (?!).   Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi, Gabi, thanks for your question. You asked, " if it's normal to like pain??"

Well, first off, there really is no such thing as 'normal' - more accurately, there are so many definitions of 'normal' that it becomes meaningless.

You might be asking 'is it typical'? and the answer is yes, it is typical. The reason is that it is easy to like things - we can like almost anything. Liking is just an emotion, and everyone likes things. You don't have to like the things that everyone else likes.

More important than that question, tho, is whether the thing causes you any difficulty or distress in life. If not, who cares?  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.