Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Pain

I'm not sure if this is the right category...I'm a 40-year-old mother of 3, diagnosis ADHD, BIPOLAR II, General Anxiety, Borderline Personality Disorder, Binge Eating D. Obesity.   I'm just wondering if it's normal to like pain???  Not sexually, but if I have a headache, toothache, any kind of pain, I really like it.  I was phisicaly abused as a child, and now my son is violent with me, and I welcome it, I think I deserve it. (He has mental health issues, too).  I do not self-inflict as my pain threshold is actually low (?!).   Thank you for your time.

Hi, Gabi, thanks for your question. You asked, " if it's normal to like pain??"

Well, first off, there really is no such thing as 'normal' - more accurately, there are so many definitions of 'normal' that it becomes meaningless.

You might be asking 'is it typical'? and the answer is yes, it is typical. The reason is that it is easy to like things - we can like almost anything. Liking is just an emotion, and everyone likes things. You don't have to like the things that everyone else likes.

More important than that question, tho, is whether the thing causes you any difficulty or distress in life. If not, who cares?  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology

15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997