Psychiatry & Psychology--General/fear


Hello, I have been having anxiety about going to the doctor and this has tormented me since 2006.I been abused by my father and his family physically, mentally, and emotionally. The doctors I seen in 2006 were very abusive to me both mentally and emotionally,too.they called me a lair, hyperconreact,and were very rude. I had a panic attack when they drew blood, my fear was they were going to get my blood mixed up with someone else's blood, my blood test results would be bad, and it would take 4 weeks to get my blood tests and pap smear ,too!what should I do to stop this from happening again?and not let my past affect my present?

You need to find a doctor you trust, or perhaps see a psychotherapist for a short period to time to coach you on how to get your fears across to your doctor.  Most doctors I know, if they know your fears, can respond to them, but then need to know you will need some extra care.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.


Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.

©2017 All rights reserved.