Psychiatry & Psychology--General/anxiety

Question
Hi, my name is Dusan and i am 24 years old. I had problems with depression and anxety for a very long time, since i was about 18 y.o. My depression ended last year but the anxiety is still here. If i had to describe the feeling i would say it is very uncomfortable chest tightness, like a stage fright. I am feeling this 24 hours a week, non stop except when i am sleeping, for over 5 years. Sometimes it is stronger for example when i am going on an exam or when i am describing it, like right now. Though all these years i was using all kinds of medications, going to therapy, and in a mental hospital for a month  but nothing helped, not a tiny bit.
I assume it is hard to figure from this what is going on with me, but ill just ask do you know what can it be that i am feeling this 24 hours a day?

Answer
Hello,

To help you put my answer in context, I am a psychoanalyst. So, from my perspective, the anxiety and depression have been generated from some relational or situational experience that left you fearful, sad, etc. Yes, there are biochemical components to each but in my experience, there are also historical events that trigger these states.

You are so right when you say it is difficult (I would say close to impossible) to figure out what is the heart of this problem given a short, two-paragraph history. However, the good news is that the answer is already inside of you. What I believe would be most helpful for you would be to seek out an analyst or analytically-inclined psychotherapist to explore with you your relational and experiential history and your feeling states that accompany these events. Within this relationship you will both explore what has been going on to cause this set of issues.

For our purposes, I would ask you to think about what was happening around the age of 18 that was significant to you. What might be associated with the development of the depression and anxiety? You mention that nothing helped you but you report that the depression has resolved. I would like to know how you think the depression got better. Are you still on antidepressants or was there something else that also helped?

Currently, it sounds like you are now suffering from generalized anxiety. Are you currently taking any anti-anxiety meds? Anxiety is very difficult to live with, so I empathize with you It seems you are very curious about how this might have started, how to deal with it now and how to work to resolve it. Please think about some of the questions I have posed here and feel free to write again. In the meantime, consider seriously seeking the help of a psychoanalyst. I realize this type of treatment takes much longer but trust me, it works...and works in a way that actually changes the way the mind AND the brain works. Take a look at the New York Times Magazine article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/tell-it-about-your-mother.html?_r=0an, depression,

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jacquelynn Cunliffe