Psychiatry & Psychology--General/What is the cause of this persons abuse?

Me and my husband are calling it abuse because it describes our child's behavior:

It started at 13, He screams loud enough to shatter a window sometimes, but usually just yells at a normal level. He screams out swear words at us, but usually just says them without screaming. He has called us every name in the book, and has said veil things to us.
    He has brandished knives at us, swung a baseball bat at my head and has brandished it multiple times. He has threatened to kill everybody in our family especially me and my husband. He has broke our treadmill and every door in our house, the window, a lot of holes in his wall, etc.
    He has fought everyone of his friends, his best friend multiple times(he put his head through our window). Hes done more crazy things that I will not say, one of them being street racing. Except for fighting his friends he acts very good in public and with other people he is just meeting for the first time. People think he is kind and soft! We have sent him to jail four times but he hasn't learned his lesson. He started calming down at age 20 1/2, but he still does bad things, we think he calmed down because the next time we call the cops he will go to jail along time, (We let him live with us from 13 to now! crazy I know). Does he have a mental illness or is he just plain abusive?

It could be a mood disorder, which can cause outbursts in various people, although a mood disorder usually is persistent and everyone in the person's life, including friends, sees the problems. Still a mood disorder agent like Lithium or Depakote might calm some of the outbursts, although I think by now much of it is behavioral (ie, abusive)

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.