Psychiatry & Psychology--General/medication for life?

Question
QUESTION: how true is it that once a bipolar always a bipolar? I mean, why does my psychiatrist say that im bound to take medications for life?
how true is it? Isn't bipolar curable, that is medication-free?

I've committed suicide once because of recurring suicidal thoughts and depressive negativities. Im feeling indifferent of life. How do you get out of it?

ANSWER: If it is Bipolar Disorder, then, yes, it is lifetime, and lifetime medications are needed. You would continue to need at least some treatment.

QUESTION: so you're saying its impossible to be medication-free? Are'nt there instances of bipolar who don't take medications?

Answer
I did not say impossible.  Sure, there are people misdiagnosed who really don't have Bipolar, or since Bipolar is periodic, and comes in goes, and in some people they have an outbreak only once a decade, or in some people the outbreak is mild, so they just tolerate it.  However, you are planing against the odds: 85% of people relapse without medications.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.