Psychiatry & Psychology--General/WHAT IS WRONG??


I am 17 years old. I do sometimes suffer from emotional abuse. (Not allways) I dont like studying for highschool very much. I do cut myself sometimes. I do sometimes take benzodiazepines. I do sometimes question whats the point of life but that passes quickly and i get better. HERES THE THING WHEN I WATCH AN ANIME I GET AN OVERWHELMING SENSE OF EMOTIONS FROM EUPHORIA TO SADNESS ETC. I DONT KNOW WHY ITS LIKE THIS... IS IT BECAUSE I DRINK ALCOHOL ALOT OR BECAUSE OF THE PILLS... IS IT ANEXIETY? OR AM I LOSING IT? MY MOOD IS SWINGING I HAVE MOOD SWINGS. THAT IS ALL PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG.....

I think the main thing that's wrong, Mr. Snake, is that you do indeed have a very troublesome condition, although I promise you it is what's called self-limiting, that is, it will go away. I'm referring to being seventeen, perhaps the toughest age to be.

You could wait until you get older, when you'd ordinarily expect these symptoms to lessen on their own, meanwhile continuing to suffer as you are with this circularity -- your mood changes (not helped by the drinking) causing anxiety (naturally), which further influences your state of mind, which ....  Or you could take matters into your own hands and do something about it now.

I'm suggesting as a first step a visit to a clinical psychologist who specializes in young people and trained not so much to change or "cure" you, but to work with you on a strategy for coping with your situation and symptoms. Everybody experiences what they deem emotional abuse. Most young people have mood swings and try out various substances. It's common to over-react to visual portrayals. It's not so much these experiences that are critical, but how the youngsters handle them.  And sometimes they can use a little help with this.

How do you find the right mental-health professional, how do you pay for it, how do you handle all the details? It depends on the situation and what's available, but generally, 17-year-olds talk with their parents about this, and ask for referrals from the school guidance or counseling office (if there is one), their family doctor, a walk-in clinic, someone in the psychological or psychiatric wing of a local hospital, or anyone in the field.

Let me leave you with a final thought. It doesn't really matter exactly what is wrong, what it's called, what the diagnosis is, .... The only important aspect is what to do about it. Nobody should have to go through what you're experiencing. There are adaptive ways of handling it that will make you a better and stronger person. I hope you can find a useful direction on this.

Thanks for asking us, and the best of fortune to you.


Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alan Auerbach


Taught psychology for 30 years, authored four textbooks. Specialize in introductory and industrial/organizational psychology, but will tackle wider range of areas.

©2017 All rights reserved.