Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Depression

Hello I was very depressed for a long time. I had a few problems and found it hard to cope. Eventually it all became to much and I tried to kill myself four times. This was last November I was put in hospital. I can't seem to get back to normal I frightened I'm going to feel the same way again and avoid certain places as it brings back bad feelings. I do try really hard to be normal but some days are really hard. I feel like crying a lot and just can't get things out of my head. I have been depressed a lot in my life and I suffer with anxiety. I'm worried I have bipolar. Thank you for your time.

Hello Christine,

It is evident from your narrative you have been hit hard and are still suffering. I am sorry for that. I do not know what your 'few problems' were but they sound like big ones. I am wondering whether you are still under the care of a psychiatrist and does s/he know of your degree of continued suffering. Was there follow-up care recommended by the hospital? If so, I would immediately contact them.

It is hard to "try to be normal" when you are faced with overwhelming problems. I would also recommend looking for a Psychodynamic or talk therapist. Talk therapy can be quite helpful in getting you to better understand why some relationships, events, or issues create intolerable or painful feelings. Talking with a qualified and empathic therapist can also help you sort out if you truly have bipolar disorder or if you are suffering from some longstanding trauma. It would be impossible for an online expert to answer those questions.

So, in short, help is out there. If finances are an issue, check to see if there are any local clinics or Psychoanalytic Teaching Institutes where you might find qualified therapists who are psychoanalytic candidates taking reduced-fee clients. That is an overlooked resource and an provide great help under these circumstances.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jacquelynn Cunliffe

I would like to answer under the category of Psychiatry and Psychology. However, I would like to see a separate category for Psychotherapy/Psychoanalysis. I do not answer questions about medications as I do not prescribe. My expertise is in psychotherapeutic treatment.

I am a psychotherapist and psychoanalyst who specializes in the treatment of mental health issues caused by childhood trauma, domestic abuse, eating disorders, relationship difficulties, and a wide variety of psychological disorders. The kind of therapy I do is often referred to as deep therapy, talk therapy, or psychoanalytic therapy. Please note that I am not against medications and when managed well, medication can be an adjunct to psychotherapy intervention. I think it is important for the public to realize that psychodynamic or psychoanalytic psychotherapy DOESmake changes not only in people's minds but those changes can also be detected in their brain structure. Psychotherapy and psychoanalysis are powerful interventions to help people change their lives from the inside out.

American Psychoanalytic Association American Psychiatric Nurse Association Member of Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia Member of National Eating Disorder Association

Ph.D.-University of Pennsylvania, Psychology and Education, Division of Human Development M.S.N. and R.N.-B.C. Board Certified Nurse in Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2-Year Adult Psychotherapy Program graduate 2-Year Child Psychotherapy Graduate Current: Candidate in Psychoanalytic Training at the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia

I have worked with clients who have experienced significant childhood traumas. These patients come with a variety of mental health issues, including anxiety, depression, suicidal ideations, relationship difficulties and diagnoses such as Personality Disorders, Adjustment Disorders, and, though rarely, Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly multiple Personality Disorder)