Psychiatry & Psychology--General/TMS

Question
I've received about 30 TMS treatments which are very costly ($350 a session) and I'm on adderal 30mg/day and 5mg/day. How do I know if my psychiatrist is just making money off of me
or whether he genuinely feels this is beneficial? Does TMS (Neurostar) even work? I also see him for therapy sessions on a frequent basis (once every two or three weeks). $375 per 45 minutes. I can't tell if TMS is doing anything at all to be honest. I've always been a little depressed and anxious since childhood. I also have ADD. I've always been reluctant to take meds (even Tylenol when sick), I only agreed to now as I have kids and I see my health issues impacting our family. Please advise.

Answer
TMS sometimes works.  It is quite controversial, not dangerous, but it is not clear the effects last for the long term, although they are often helpful acutely (for a few months).  

If you are not feeling better after all this treatment, you should probably get a consultation with another psychiatrist.  I would ask your current psychiatrist for three names as possible consultants.  Any good psychiatrist, who feels he/she is doing what is correct, will have no trouble having another psychiatrist look at the records and treatment plans for possible suggestions.  If your psychiatrist balks at this, well, then you have to ask why he would object.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.