Psychiatry & Psychology--General/ADHD

Question
If someone is diagnosed as ADHD can they sit for hours and read a book?  Sit for hours and write?

Answer
Hello Kirk,

That is a good question. Typically ADHD is considered to be an issue of concentration and inability to focus on anything for any length of time. therefore, one might think sitting and reading for any length of time would go against a diagnosis of ADHD.

There are several subtypes of ADHD in both adults and children. One subtype is predominantly inattentive type ADHD, manifesting as difficulty sustaining attention and focusing on detail. They can lose things, are easily distractible, have poor study skills, and lose track of time. Another subtype isHyperactive-Impulsive type, where the individual feels like they need to be restless and in constant motion. They can talk excessively, interrupt, have difficulty waiting and may act inappropriately impatient in professional and social situations. Less than 5% of people have this subtype. It is important to note that people with this subtype may have no problem with attention or concentration. Therefore, reading a book would be no problem.

The third subtype is a combined type of ADHD. People with this subtype have a combination of inattentiveness and impulsive or restless symptoms.

I hope this answers your question. It would be best, when in doubt, to consult a professional, as there are therapies and medication which can treat this disorder.

Thank you for the question!

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jacquelynn Cunliffe