Psychiatry & Psychology--General/help

QUESTION: dear friend, you know, 3 weeks ago I discovered that severasl parts of my  car, here in Caracas were stolen. The computer, the radio ans the battery. Even I have been parking my car in the same garage during 8 years it is the first time It happens to me. The problem is that during one year  the battery of my car get discharged when the car was parked, so I disconected the battery and let doors opened. I, in a so abbssesive way can not stop thinking about my error: Why did I leave doors opened? What about if the owner of tghe parking lor does not want to pay for this parts? what about if the parts daes no work properly? ans so on..all day long thinking about this terrible problem in a so negative and obssesive way..
what do you recomend me?

ANSWER: Hello Anton,

It is hard to know exactly what is going on but it sounds as if you have a type of Obsessional-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It has been triggered by a trauma--you made one mistake and left the doors unlocked. Something bad happened to you and now you are obsessively blaming yourself as if you caused the problem. It does seem like leaving the doors open allowed people to gain access to your car but i am curious if you suffered from OCD previously. Do you obsess about things you might have done or not done? Is this a way that you discharge anxiety? Have you suffered from any kind of anxiety in the past? Answers to theses questions would be helpful.

I do not have any quick answers for you. First, try and see how well you can get some kind of reimbursement from the garage. If you cannot, I would consult a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist and tell this person of this recurrent problem.

Please let me know if I can be of any other service.  Thanks for your question and I wish you the best of luck.

QUESTION: you are rightĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦI have suffered from mayor depression dissorder....4 episodes. I fell in love 4 times with bad women being married. Even , according to my last psychiatrist, due to the fact that I have suferred so many depressive epissodes I will have to take antidepressants for the rest of my life. I practice nailbiting and repeat telling things about the same theme so many times. I repeat things.I bite my moustaches as well. You know this afternoon the gay responsible for de garage called me up to tell me look for the money to buy the computer for the car.Yes, I am absesive guy. Do you agree with my psychiatrist that it is necessary to take antidepressants for the rest of my life?Due to this 4 grieves I have been 3 years without sexual intercourse with my wife.....I do not know why...........I do not feel sexual desire especially with my wife......You can not imagine the painfull that a depression for grief is preferible to be dead. Thanks for your really usefull opinion again....

There is a lo0t going on in your life. As I understand it, the question you posed to me was regarding whether or not you will need to take antidepressants for the rest of your life. That is difficult for me to predict. In my experience, those people who rely ONLY on medication to treat their depression then yes, they will likely be on that medication for the rest of their lives because they are doing nothing therapeutically that would change things on the 'mind' level. However, for my patients who suffer from depression, they are often put on as small a dose of antidepressant that helps them and then they get continue psychotherapy with me. Often the psychotherapy helps them understand themselves better, improves their relationships, and makes it less necessary to rely on antidepressants.

Also, some medications do affect sexual desire. Talk to your psychiatrist about your decreased libido and ask whether there might be some better medications that are less likely to decrease desire.

As for your other symptoms, these may be related to severe anxiety issues, which are manifested by the OCD-like behaviors. Once again I would talk to your psychiatrist to make sure s/he is treating you with the right combination of medicines. If it is possible, please consider a combination of psychotherapy and medication.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and I hope you are able to get the therapy you need.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jacquelynn Cunliffe

I would like to answer under the category of Psychiatry and Psychology. However, I would like to see a separate category for Psychotherapy/Psychoanalysis. I do not answer questions about medications as I do not prescribe. My expertise is in psychotherapeutic treatment.

I am a psychotherapist and psychoanalyst who specializes in the treatment of mental health issues caused by childhood trauma, domestic abuse, eating disorders, relationship difficulties, and a wide variety of psychological disorders. The kind of therapy I do is often referred to as deep therapy, talk therapy, or psychoanalytic therapy. Please note that I am not against medications and when managed well, medication can be an adjunct to psychotherapy intervention. I think it is important for the public to realize that psychodynamic or psychoanalytic psychotherapy DOESmake changes not only in people's minds but those changes can also be detected in their brain structure. Psychotherapy and psychoanalysis are powerful interventions to help people change their lives from the inside out.

American Psychoanalytic Association American Psychiatric Nurse Association Member of Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia Member of National Eating Disorder Association

Ph.D.-University of Pennsylvania, Psychology and Education, Division of Human Development M.S.N. and R.N.-B.C. Board Certified Nurse in Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2-Year Adult Psychotherapy Program graduate 2-Year Child Psychotherapy Graduate Current: Candidate in Psychoanalytic Training at the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia

I have worked with clients who have experienced significant childhood traumas. These patients come with a variety of mental health issues, including anxiety, depression, suicidal ideations, relationship difficulties and diagnoses such as Personality Disorders, Adjustment Disorders, and, though rarely, Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly multiple Personality Disorder)