Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Medication concerns

I have a question regarding my mother's medications.
I fear that she is over medicated and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help her, I have tried countless times trying to talk to her psychiatrist but it hasn't helped.

My mom was recently diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and in high school she was diagnosed with bipolar.

as of now her doctor has prescribed her Geodon, Lamictal, diazepam (not exactly sure if this is the correct medication but she is on some kind of heavy sleeping pill.) and prozac.

She use to be on lithium but her doctor switched her to prozac. Which I believed made her worse. She is lethargic and sleeps most of time and has a difficult time listening and forming coherent sentences.    

Is there anything I can do to make sure that she is treated properly without being doped up.

Thank you and I appreciate your time!

I'd like to help Laura but there's too much I don't know. For instance, how is she when not on medication? Is she at home or in a facility? Who is taking care of her, spending time with her, administering her medications?  What are the best expectations for her future, given her history? Who is authorized and entitled to manage her treatment? What would be your options about having a different clinician see her? If she weren't sleeping, what would she be doing? If you did talk to her psychiatrist (not clear from your wording), what was the response? Who is paying the psychiatrist?

In short, I can't tell if she's getting the best possible medical and other treatment -- or if some kind of intervention is called for.  

I think the best source of help and information on this would be someone local (certainly within your state insofar as some of these issues have legal overtones). To start, you could do a search for mental health organizations, schizophrenia support groups, or a clinical social worker. I'm sure there are options for you, but what they are, and how they should be applied, will depend on answers to questions such as those above. It's good to be well meaning, but you have to be realistic too.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but your concern seems constructive, and I hope you can get useful advice. Meanwhile, all I can do is thank you for asking us and wish you the best possible outcome.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach

Taught psychology for 30 years, authored four textbooks. Specialize in introductory and industrial/organizational psychology, but will tackle wider range of areas.