Psychiatry & Psychology--General/detached and emotionless

Question
hi
I am a 18yr old boy. I am feeling detached and emotionless. i feel empty and aimless.I am not able to express my emotions. I behave as a loner even if i dont want to. My communication with girls is also very low as i dont know what to talk. I tried motivational talks and videos but it did not help, i dont think it is depression because other than this i feel normal and laugh to jokes etc.
So please help

Answer
Hello Satish.  Let me respond to each of your sentences.

I am a 18yr old boy. THAT'S A DIFFICULT AGE BUT I PROMISE THAT IT'S A SELF-LIMITING CONDITION.

I am feeling detached and emotionless. DEVELOPING JUST ONE FRIEND OR EVEN ONE INTEREST SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THE DETACHMENT. EMOTIONS ARE HARD TO DEAL WITH AS WE ARE NOT WELL TAUGHT THE LANGUAGE AND THE RECOGNITION OF THEM, BUT BEING ABLE TO IGNORE THEM IS NOT NECESSARIOY BAD.

i feel empty and aimless. SO IN FACT YOU CAN EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS. NOT A BAD START. AND IT'S JUST PART OF BEING YOUNG AND DIRECTIONLESS. BEING YOUNG WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF. FINDING DIRECTIONS IS IN YOUR HANDS.

I am not able to express my emotions. AS I SAID, YOU DON'T DO A BAD JOB OF THAT, AND I'M NOT SURE THAT ANALYZING AND EXPRESSING EMOTIONAL FEELINGS IS HELPFUL ANYWAY.

I behave as a loner even if i dont want to. THAT MAY BE THE KEY. IT TAKES TIME AND LUCK TO DEVELOP THE FRIENDSHIPS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO ALL OF US. BE PATIENT, DEVELOP SPECIFIC INTERESTS, AND BE RECEPTIVE.

My communication with girls is also very low as i dont know what to talk. THAT DESCRIBES ALL YOUNG LADS.  IT WILL COME.

I tried motivational talks and videos but it did not help, i dont think it is depression because other than this i feel normal and laugh to jokes etc. YES, MOTIVATIONAL PROGRAMS SERVE THE MOTIVATIONS OF THOSE WHO SELL THEM. NO, YOU DON'T SOUND DEPRESSED, RATHER YOU SOUND QUITE NORMAL.

So please help  THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE, COULD BE, OR WANT TO BE GOOD AT, AND FOCUS ON THAT. FROM THAT WILL STEM CONTACTS THAT WILL LEAD TO OTHER CONTACTS. YOU CAN'T FORCE A CONTACT TO BECOME A FRIEND, BUT YOU CAN BE OPEN AND ENCOURAGING, AND WITH TIME AND LUCK, I PREDICT YOU WILL ENJOY A QUITE SATISFACTORY SOCIAL LIFE.

________

Thanks for asking us, and I hope some of the responsive comments will prove helpful.

Alan

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach