Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Is this a rare mental disorder?

Question
Is there a name for a mental disorder where a teenage, female urinates in her bedroom? Urinates on the floor, in dresser drawers, in garbage cans and stores it? Doesn't do drugs or drink.

Answer
Hi Shari,

The condition that you describe is not common. The general name for the condition which describes when someone who urinates the bed at night OR urinates in inappropriate places is called "ENURESIS." Most often this happens in childhood and is known as "bed-wetting."  It is much less commonly seen in adolescence. I would be concerned that this behavior might indicate a mental health issue and might be a result of some kind of past trauma. Having no other information, that is the best answer I can give you. If you are suffering from this problem, I would suggest you tell someone you trust so you can get appropriate help to understand this issue. Alternatively, you might ask to see a psychologist or psychotherapist so you can tell them directly without risking your privacy. A good psychotherapist could be very helpful. If it is a friend who has told you about the problem, I might just listen to her and suggest she ask to see a psychotherapist so she can talk about this issue confidentially.

I hope this helps.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Jacquelynn Cunliffe