Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Difficulties after stopping Effexor

Question
I had been on Effexor 150 for about 2 years. Because of loss of insurance I had to come off, but my psych was kind enough to write me a script to last the schedule she gave me for titration.

I have been off of Effexor completely for just over a month. During the acute withdrawal period I had all of the severe reactions and I just felt like I would die at any minute. Those have lessened however, there are 2 issues im still having that is really worrying me.

I get angry really, really quick. I mean slamming things and cursing angry. I can't handle frustration as I'll just fly straight to angry. I also will suddenly start crying and just be sad.

The crying I can handle, it's the anger that is scaring me. I should note my dx had been panic and chronic depression. Also, my husband recently took a new job 3 hours away and I'm home with the kids. I feel awful I can't tolerate them as well anymore. Finally, my dad has advanced cancer and is beginning to deteriorate.

The anger began after I completely stopped the Effexor which is why I suspect it as the culprit.

My question is, how long will this last? I'm starting to feel overwhelmed and any to give up and take start taking the remaining meds, but I never want on that medication again.

Answer
I doubt this is a withdrawal effect at this late date.  More likely it is a return of some depressive symptoms. You may want to resume a more affordable antidepressant (stores like Walmart and other big box stores with pharmacies sell such medications like Prozac or Imipramine quite cheaply).  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.