Psychiatry & Psychology--General/School mental health screening tool

Question
I am planning a School Health screening program and want to include Mental health screening. Can you please tell me a simple/effective tool which can be used to screen General Mental Health of School children of age 5 to 10 years old. Please guide me.Thanks

Answer
Hi Mohamed

Your project has great merit and I wish you every success in it. But different aspects require different methods.

How are the children's eyes? Yes, with the help of an optometrist, you could set up some simple vision screening tests. Their height and weight? Easy and simple. Their hearing? In-house rough screening might be possible.

But their blood sugar? You would need a medical professional such as a nurse. Teeth? Only a dentist performing individual examinations can tell the school.

And the most complex of all would be their mental health. There is no cross-cultural mental-health  screening test. My best suggestion would be to engage a clinical psychologist to set up in an office at the school for certain periods of time. When children cause their teachers to have concern, they could consult the psychologist who could also see the child in question.

Sorry there is no other answer for your project, but if you have any further questions on this, feel free to send a follow-up.

Thanks for asking us, and all the best to you.

Alan

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach