Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Is there something wrong with me??

Hi, Im 23 years old. For the past few months, whenever I did something wrong during presentation or someone scolded me, I will keep thinking about it over and over again for the whole day even i just make a minor mistake during presentation like if i pronounce the word wrongly, n people laugh at me, I will keep thinking about it n start having palpitation. Its like Im having obsessional thoughts over a minor things. Today, I was being scolded and i keep thinking about it till im unable to do other things cuz i cant focus on doing other things. I want to do my revision, but i have palpitation, nausea because i keep remembering about me being scolded.My palpitation is so bad that i sometimes feel that i want to abuse subtances or harm myself. It feels like I can go crazy anytime.When I have a I dont know what should i do.  These past few months, I also had poor concentration. When  people explaining something to me, I just stared at them blankly and will ask them to repeat them again. I also get irritated over minor things and keep scolding other people without reasons. I realised that they didnt do anything wrong, but I dont know why i suddenly become so angry.Is there really something wrong with me?? Do i need to seek medical help??

Is there something wrong with you? Yes and no Caroline.

Yes, your reactions are too intense to be healthy.

No, your reactions are to be expected, are perfectly normal, you don't need help for having them, and there could be a bigger problem if you did not react at all.

So the problem seems to be not the reaction but the over-reaction. I'm not sure of the best way to deal with it because everybody is different, but here are some possibilities.

-Get help in your presentation preparations so they are good quality.
-Ask to be excused from making them, as the criticism is disturbing.
-Put yourself in the mind of others, the ones that find fault or those you criticize.
-See a clinical psychologist for help in coping with your reactions.
-As a doctor for anti-anxiety medication.
-Make friends with a colleague who can defend you against low-level criticism.
-Prepare a short, warm, smiling, productive response to any public criticism, such as, "That's good to know, thank you, I appreciate it" and continue as if it didn't happen.

I hope some of those possibilities will work for you, but be patient because this kind of change can take time. In the meantime, I thank you for asking us, and wish you every success in your life and your career.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach

Taught psychology for 30 years, authored four textbooks. Specialize in introductory and industrial/organizational psychology, but will tackle wider range of areas.