Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Anxiety and Beta Blocker

Question
Dear Dr. Harrop,

I am 49 and generally anxious about things but not entirely gripped by anxiety. As an introvert, I do get anxious talking to people in small and large groups. I was in the teaching profession for a number of years and found myself experiencing nervous rash around my neck due to increased anxiety. As a result, I have developed essential hypertension (145/85) which surfaces during stressful/anxious situations. I have been put on a beta blocker, Atenolol (25mg), since 2013 but my dosage has been reduced to a 1/4 due to the lethargy I experienced with a higher dosage. The lower dosage is working well for me. My bp is usually normal (115/75) when I'm not anxious.

Questions:
1. Is this condition common among your patients, i.e. development of essential hypertension due to prolonged anxiety?

2. Can this type of anxiety-induced hypertension be successfully controlled through psychological therapy rather than medication?

3. I do have difficulty falling asleep at night and have been recommended melatonin (3mg) which works well for me. Would you know if melatonin, currently marketed as a dietary supplement, can be taken long term? I have read conflicting reviews about the use of melatonin.

Thank you for your time.

Answer

Yes

Yes

3. I do have difficulty falling asleep at night and have been recommended melatonin (3mg) which works well for me. Would you know if melatonin, currently marketed as a dietary supplement, can be taken long term?

It is safe to take long-term.  The effect may wear off over 6-8 weeks, but it is safe.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.