Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Father-Daughter Bonding

Question
Hello Mr. Harrop,

I'm trying to understand the psychology behind an adult woman's choice to continue her father's hobby (not career) that he taught her as a young girl. For example, let's say the father in this case took his daughter with him when he golfed every weekend. Let's also say she was a little under 10 years of age when this started.

They bonded and took pictures of themselves having a good time on the golf course, etc. Eventually, the young girl is now an adult and really enjoys golf as a hobby and practices it when she has free time on her weekends or vacations.

Okay, the background is set up for you. What I want to know are the following, please:

1. Does she "genuinely" enjoy golf or is this something she does to make her father proud?

2. Did her bond, at an early age, with her father create "happy" memories in her adult years to the point that now she only golfs because of the way the sport makes her feel rather than enjoying golf?

3. What is the psychological term for such a bond between father and daughter to produce the above effect?

Answer
1. Does she "genuinely" enjoy golf or is this something she does to make her father proud? She genuinely enjoys golf

2. Did her bond, at an early age, with her father create "happy" memories in her adult years to the point that now she only golfs because of the way the sport makes her feel rather than enjoying golf? She enjoys golf.  She enjoys her life

3. What is the psychological term for such a bond between father and daughter to produce the above effect? Love

You are reading way too much into this normal situation...

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.