Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Seroquel Withdrawal

Question
I was put on 50mg Seroquel for sleep issues only for a month. During that month I began to have breathing problems went to the ER and I checked out fine. Mine psychiatrist said it was probably anxiety as I lost my job and home in January. So they put me on Vistaril 50 mg 3x a day along with my Buspar 10mg 3x a day a d topomax 50mg 2x a day. I figured out it was the Seroquel that was causing me to feel like I couldn't breathe So since I only took it for a month and my doctor never calls me back, I stopped taking it for about 4 days. I got so sick I could barely stand up. Migraine, nausea, acid reflux,shakes. So I went back on 25mg of Seroquel this was over a week ago but I am still very sick. Is it Seroquel withdrawal or am I having a reaction to the Vistaril or both. I can't sleep either. My doctor still hasn't called me back. If it is Seroquel withdrawal how long will I be sick? I want to taper off this medication. I have since read about it and it is very scary. I don't want to take it anymore.

Answer
The Seroquel was probably controlling anxiety symptoms that have reared up worse since stopping the Seroquel.  There is no need to taper Seroquel as it is not addicting, you cannot become dependent on it.  You need to go back to your doctor to get your medications adjusted or find another way to control your anxiety without medications (relaxation exercises, visualization, etc.)  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.