Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Counseling

I see a therapist for depression to basically have someone to talk to and schedule appointments very sporadically. Whenever things are particularly rough I make an appointment, but often between making the appointment and going to it I start feeling better and don't have much to talk about anymore. Do most therapists have patients make appointments on a spontaneous basis or a repeating scheduled basis? If I saw my therapist every other week whether or not I am particularly distressed it would make each appointment feel less stressful like I need to produce something each time. What is the norm?

Hi James, thanks for your question. There really is no normal. The frequency depends on your goals. I think you should discuss this question with your therapist. Between the two of you, talk about what you want to get out of therapy. From that, you will probably be able to figure out how often you want to go.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology

15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997