Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Sorry to bother you

Question
Hi Alan. Sorry to bother you. I remembered that when I was little I had a weird fantasy. It involved a woman who would seduce someone and then strangle them. I swear I am not a psychopath. And killing someone is disturbing to me. The very seduction was kind of arousing. Do you think this was abnormal?

Answer
Good to hear from you Damian and it's no bother.

General opinion is that fantasies can be like dreams. They can have elements of reality but be generally bizarre. Despite lots of explanatory theories, their origin and meaning are unclear scientifically, and the general disposition is "Don't worry about them -- at least not if you enjoy them, and if they don't lead to making plans to carry out some element of them that you should not."

Thanks for asking us, and I hope that puts your mind at rest.

Alan  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Alan Auerbach