Psychiatry & Psychology--General/adding apriorazole

I am writing about a  32 year old man who has been diagnosed with OCD. He is going for intensive CBT, once a week for two sesssions for about two months and has been taking  30 mg of cipralex for about three months.  Now the psychiatrist wants to add apriorazole at a half a tablet three times a week. He says that he feels his progress will be faster with this addition.   I am very nervous about him taking an anti-psychotic even such a small dose thatit is almost homeopathic. I feel that anti-psychotics are easy to start and hard to get off of,have scary side effects and I am wondering why this is neccessary at all. I am interested in hearing your opinion on this.  Why is the doctor prescribing this, how is it supposed to help. how important is it, is there another way to go without using antipsychotics, and should we just stick with the cip and skip the apriorazole. Thank you very much, M

Abilify/Aripiprazole is FDA approved for schizophrenia and acute mania, and as an adjunct second-line therapy for bipolar maintenance and major depressive disorder. If there is no psychosis and there is no melancholia, then it would be used "off-label," so I would ask the doctor some hard questions about this.  
Cipralex can also be used up to 40 mg daily -- if is safe even in higher dosages, but generally not more effective.  Antipsychotics are no harder to stop than any other medication, by the way.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.