Psychiatry & Psychology--General/anxiety

Question
I've always had some sort of panic and anxiety disorder. Largely because of have a phobia for sickness and medication.
I've seen much suffering and will never understand why people suffer , it's 2016.  So I think gee I had a loose bowel movement today (I know disgusting information) do I have a terrible disease.  as I get older it happens more often. I'm good for awhile sometimes long periods of time.  then something happens and the condition is exacerbated.  I know you'll say seek psychotherapy...I actually did see a psychologist awhile back and she said.   You're intelligent and normal and stop getting anxious over every little twinge (easy to say) so I had only 3 sessions   An expensive diagnosis. My own diagnosis (and I don't presume to be a psychologist) is a worrier, and obsessive about some things. is there a way to help me during these panics without dealing with psychologists.  Thank you

Answer
Hi, Jan. Thanks for your question. You asked, "is there a way to help me during these panics without dealing with psychologists?" The technical answer is YES. There are some people who can pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Some people do it with the sheer will and power of their own mind - there are precious few of them.

There are others who find that books on dealing with their problems provide them with the information they need to be able to implement the advice. Again, few of these people.

Most of us require another person to truly understand our problem and to help guide us out of the mess we created. The problem, for most of us, is trusting that other people with our psyche, our most precious thoughts and feelings.

Whether you seek professional help or don't, the evidence is pretty clear that cognitive-behavioral therapy works pretty well for anxiety and panic. So you can get some books on that area...

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.