Psychology/Munchausen Syndrome

Question
I wish to do further reading in order to gain an understanding of a couple of individuals who touch my life. Is there some variation of Munchausen Syndrome that doesn't involve illness? In other words, these individuals I'm speaking of simply seem to crave attention by creating situations of need. These scenarios involve everyday tasks that should be simple to any thinking adult, yet these individuals reach out to me constantly as if they're portraying themselves as someone who might possess an extremely low IQ. I find the behavior disconcerting and wonder sometimes if I'm dealing with some sort of fixation or condition that could escalate into something unpleasant.

Answer
Jim,

Thank you for submitting your question to AllExperts! Based on your description of these people, I would recommend readings related to Borderline Personality Disorder and Dependent Personality Disorder. You will find more readings on the former than the latter. I would also encourage you to look for readings about setting up and maintaining boundaries as this can help you to avoid that "something unpleasant."

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna