Psychology/Interview with a Psychologist

Question
Dear Kristine,
My name is Bianca. I know you are a very busy person, and Ia'm not the first person interested in the interview. I have a presentation that is due on Dec.3,2012 and I would really appreciate if you can kindly answer few of my questions. My major is in Psychology and I'am fascinated by exploring every issue, especially learning more about psychological disorders. Thank you for your time! Bianca
1. What do you like most/least about Psychology?
2. What does a typical day look like?
3. What is your education/training/experience?
4. What was your path? Why?
5. What would you do differently?
6. What advice would you give someone thinking about entering Psychology?
7. Do you mind if I stay in touch with you from time to time?

Answer
Hello Bianca,

Thank you for your consideration and that you have planned ahead for this assignment. You can continue to remain in contact with me through my website - doctorluna.com

1) What I like the most is interacting with people to help them to meet their goals. What I like the least are the administrative duties required as a private practitioner (i.e. interacting with insurance companies)

2) In my current position, I start my day at a nursing home where I support direct care staff and social workers as well as provide individual therapy to the residents there. Two days a week, for now, I go to my private practice office and see individual therapy clients. After each session, ideally, I write up my session notes and then submit claims to insurance companies.

3) I have a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, a Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology, and a Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D.). I have completed a predoctoral internship and post-doctoral residency to complete my formal training and often seek on-going training (CEUs).

4) I took a meandering path to my doctorate because I believed my undergraduate advisers who told me that the only degree of value is a Ph.D., not a Psy.D. If I had wanted a career mainly focused on teaching and research, they would have been correct as the Ph.D. is preferred. As I learned more about the difference between these two and what I wanted to do within the field of psychology (therapy, assessment, and consulting), the more I realized that I wanted a Psy.D.

5) If I were to go back and start my education over again, I would have attended public schools (local community college and state schools) more to decrease my debt load and I would have started pursuing a Psy.D. sooner.

6) Meet with as many people in the field as you can and talk with them about their careers. A great way to do this is by joining your local, state, or national psychological associations.

7) Please feel free to contact me at my website at doctorluna.com

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna