Psychology/Numb?

Question
Hey doc haha
since I was about 14 I've been obsessed with the idea that there's something wrong with me emotionally. I remember as a child feeling a general undertow of joy in life and I haven't felt any joy since (I am now 19). My emotions feel dulled and never invigorating.
When I was 1 my house burnt down leaving me withobvious scars.
I was bullied through primary school and the first couple of years of high school, after the bullying stopped people still treated me like scum.
Also I grew up around alcoholics.
I still laugh and cry and such but don't really feel any emotions strongly.  
The only times I ever really feel satisfied are when I'm being intimate, having an inspired conversation, absorbed in a book or drunk.
The rest or the time I'm numb and questioning my emotions.
I've been thinking about seeing a psychologist soon and was wondering if there is actually something wrong or if everyone is just happier when they are children.
If there is something wrong I'd really like to hear what you think it might be.
Should I see a shrink?
Thank you.

Answer
Kori,

You have experienced a lot of traumatic events in your life (the fire, being bullied, and living with alcoholics) can leave you with some major psychological needs that should be addressed in a therapy setting. I would encourage you to see a psychologist or clinical social worker. I don't know if this point you need to see a psychiatrist (AKA "shrink"), but this is something that you and your therapist can discuss.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna