Psychology/Interview with Psychologist

Question
Hello, I hope you have time to answer a few questions for me. I am a psyc minor and I have to interview a psychologist for an assignment. Thank you for your time.

1.What courses did you have to do to get into psychology?
2. Why did you choose this career?
3. What is your favorite thing about being a psychologist?
4. Are there any downsides to this career?
5. What qualities or interests do you think you have to have to become a psychologist?
6. What are your career development opportunities?
7. Briefly describe what you do in an average work day?
8. What are your work conditions like?
9. Is there a lot of demand for a person of your qualifications?
10. Anything else you want to add about your career?

Answer
Abagail,

Thank you for submitting your questions to AllExperts!
1.What courses did you have to do to get into psychology? Undergraduate psychology generally has certain courses that are required in order to complete. These often include at least one course in each of the following: Introduction to Psychology, Human Development, Abnormal Psychology, Statistics, History and Systems, and Physiological psychology.
2. Why did you choose this career? I chose psychology because I enjoy doing therapy and am fascinated by the process of change.
3. What is your favorite thing about being a psychologist? Watching change happen
4. Are there any downsides to this career? Having to interact with insurance companies
5. What qualities or interests do you think you have to have to become a psychologist? You need to think logically, be persistent in completing tasks and enjoy ongoing education
6. What are your career development opportunities? Career development occurs through continuing education.
7. Briefly describe what you do in an average work day? In my current position, I arrive at a nursing home, meet with the social workers for any information regarding the residents I am planning to see. I then engage in 30 - 60 minute therapy sessions with those individuals or provide a friendly/supportive visit to them. After that, twice a week I go to my private practice location to see clients there.
8. What are your work conditions like? I find the conditions pleasant. I set my own hours, for the most part. I interact with those I need to and I leave.
9. Is there a lot of demand for a person of your qualifications? There are certain areas of psychology that are experiencing a great deal of growth, among them is in the area of geropsychology.
10. Anything else you want to add about your career? Not really

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna