Psychology/Psychology related jobs

Hello, I'm a senior in high school and I'm interested in studying Psychology once I graduate, but I'm having difficulty deciding what bachelors degree I should pursue. I have two in consideration: Arts of Psychology and Mental health and psychology of the community. But I need help in choosing a bachelors that will allow me to achieve all the requirements needed to exert a masters in psychology while simultaneously allowing me to be applicable with other jobs  related to what I have studied. I already know I can work as a social worker, with a bachelors degree but my question is: What bachelors degree should I pursue so that I have a variety of job opportunities while allowing me to attain a masters degree in psychology?

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for submitting this question to me here at AllExperts! A bachelor's degree in psychology is generally very portable both in the field of psychology as well as in other academic fields. Without being familiar with the specific programs that you are looking (i.e. the programs and the universities/colleges they are offered at), I am at a bit of a disadvantage. What I would recommend is that you talk to your academic advisor as well as the program directors for the two programs you are considering.

Because the bachelor of arts in psychology is the more common, I would lean in that direction. I am not familiar with the psychology of the community program, but I would assume that the focus of the program would more similar to a sociology program or a social work program. I am sorry that I am unable to provide you with more.

The most important thing to look at when selecting a program, however, is how the program you are looking at matches with your future plans.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York