Psychology/Closing The Book !

Question
Greetings & Happy New Year !
Hoping my email finds you well.
Perhaps you can provide me with some insight.
I'm a fairly lonely individual who in the past tried his best to reach out and build some sort of semblance of a positive social life as I'm basically optimistic and outgoing.  For various reasons, my plans never worked out and along the way I found myself caught in some highly embarassing situations.  Luckily, I never saw nor heard from these people again though quite frequently my mind tends to go back to these 'incidents' which I know are finally behind me but I do worry that these people might someday resurface and these unpleasant chapters might be brought to light which I do not want.  
I have gotten older and mellowed out as well as learned my lesson - and then some !  I no longer want to beat myself up as I came across more than my share detractors.  
How can I rest easy or must I continue to look over my shoulder that the past might catch up with me.
Please Advise !
Thanks !

Answer
Hello Mark,

Thank you for submitting your query to me at AllExperts! Many people have "skeletons in the closet" which they would not like brought out for the world to see. For many people, these embarrassing moments have occurred when they have been with their friends and it is likely that the friends will raise these ghosts throughout the friendship. You are in a unique position, however in that you are not in frequent contact with the people associated with the embarrassing situations.

Therefore, the most likely person to raise concern over your previous actions, is you. You can continue to flagellate yourself for your past indiscretions, or you can move forward with the confidence and maturity of someone who has learned from his past and moved on.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna