Hi, I am writing a paper on being a psychologist. I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions for me.

1) What is a "typical" workday like?

2) What are some things I could do, as a senior in high school, to help me prepare for this field of work?

Thank you.

Thank you for contacting me at AllExperts! There are many different types of "typical days" in the field of psychology. My typical day includes collaborating with Social workers and nursing staff to best support the senior citizens on my case load, providing individual therapy to the clients on my caseload, and providing consultation services to those in need. On Wednesdays, I hold office hours at my private practice and after each session, I complete session notes and bill the various insurance companies.

Some ways to prepare for a career in the field of psychology would be to obtain some experience in service centers such as nursing homes, child care centers, and treatment programs for people diagnosed with either mental health concerns or developmental disabilities.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York