Psychology/Passive-Aggressive Behavior in Women

Question
I'm on deadline for Glamour Magazine, looking for experts who can speak about passive aggression in women ages 18-40. I'm hoping you might be able to fill in my argument a bit - is there evidence that women are more passive aggressive than men? Are there ways to combat those tendencies? And what is the best way to deal with someone who is being passive aggressive?

My deadline is at 6 PM EST today, so please get back to me as soon as you can if you feel you can answer this question. Thanks!

All best,
Ellie

Answer
Hi Ellie,

Thank you for contacting me here at AllExperts for your Glamour Magazine article. Most often, it is reported that men are more passive aggressive than women, however, it has been found that neither gender has the market cornered on these relationship disrupting behaviors. Passive aggressive behaviors can occur in virtually any relationship and are often used as a way to control the situation. The classic example for women is to withhold sex rather than telling her partner that she is angry with something he or she did. Other examples include providing short, terse responses such as "Fine" or "Whatever you want;" "Let me try to make it better for you" or "I thought you knew." Responses such as these are not expressing the anger that the speaker is feeling and may actually be packaged in an overly sweet tone and demeanor. All the while, the person is becoming increasingly angry with their partner.

Women may engage in these behaviors because they are trying to be "good wives/partners" but ultimately these behaviors can breakdown the relationship stability and trust.

Psychology Today published an article on managing passive aggressive behaviors (Four Strategies to Effectively Control Passive Aggressive Behavior in a Relationship, 7/25/11). In this article, the following steps are made to address these tendencies, please see the link  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/passive-aggressive-diaries/201107/4-strategi

Hope this helps!

Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna