Psychology/book research: lost faith

Dear Dr. Luna,

I read in another post that you are a Christian psychologist and so I am hoping you can offer insight for me.

My daughter, 16, has been attending Christian churches and schools all her life. Now she says she has problems "feeling" her faith. Some of the kids in her school are very vocal about their faith, but she is not. Also, because she wasn't "born again," her faith doesn't excite her because it's nothing new to her.

So my question is this: When you aren't fired up in your faith, how do you become fired up? In addition, how does she reconcile with her faith as it is? (I would say it's steady and quiet).

Also, could peer pressure factor into these feelings she is having?

I hope this makes sense. I am a writer by trade, but it's difficult for me to articulate what I think my daughter is feeling.

Thank you,

It is typical for Christians to go through periods of spiritual drought, especially in times of identity development typically seen in adolescence and early adulthood. There are many ways to heat up the fire of faith. One way is to complete a study or two that is designed for people who have walked away from the church and then have a re-dedication ceremony at the end. Another way is to introduce new experiences into her christian life. For example, if she has never been on a retreat or to a massive youth conference (Christ in Youth, Student Life Conference, or Acquire the Fire), these could really spark the newness and excitement. Another possibility of heating things up would be to go on a missions trip.  As far as reconciling her current faith, that is something she needs to do on her own. Perhaps encouraging her to read some christian biographies (Joni Erickson Tada and Ben Carson come to mind) to encourage her in her faith.

It is possible that peer pressure is factoring into her feelings. If many of her christian friends have had these HUGE salvation stories, she may feel that she is missing out because she has always been a "good girl," alternatively, if her friends are not christian, she may be wondering why she is bothering to be a "good girl."

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York