Psychology/blood test.

Question
I went to see a clinical psychologist today because I have been feeling depressed. He asked that I go to my primary doctor to get my blood tests to factor out the possibility of thyroid issues. is that normal?

Answer
James,

Although your psychologists request is not standard practice, it should be! A malfunctioning thyroid can cause someone to experience depression or mania, depending on what the thyroid is doing. By encouraging you get bloodwork done with your pcp, he is ruling out the possibility of a medical cause for your depression. This is best practice!

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna