Psychology/Need closure on this

I wanted to rearrange some things in my apartment. I had 15 shoe boxes full of jewelry that I decided to get rid of. The jewelry were to tangled to keep and it would be too time consuming to try and detangle all of the jewelry in the boxes. However, I made sure that I got all the loose change that was in the boxes. A lot of the change was gold coins that were a dollar a piece, or quarters, or Susan B. Anthony.

But when I got rid of the jewelry (I threw the boxes down the incinerator) I started to doubt if I got all the money. Reason being before I threw the jewelry away I spot checked about five of the shoe boxes (there were 15 boxes in total) and did retrieve some money that I didnt see before, but I didnt check all the boxes to make sure I retrieved all the money.

Now I am very worried that I didnt get all the money out of the shoe boxes. However, I did check each box as I put them in the cart to be wheeled to the incinerator to make sure I got the money. But then at the last minute before throwing them out as I said I decided to spot check five. But after I threw them away then my insecurity came shining through and I started to doubt myrself.

It sounds like you are experiencing some excessive levels of anxiety over the possibility of having thrown out some money. I would recommend that if you are unable to trust that you found all the money on the first check and if the worry associated with this is interfering with your day to day schedule, then I suggest that you seek professional therapy to assist you in coping with and challenging these fears.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York