Psychology/psychology

Question
QUESTION: Let's say a person goes to a psychologist complaining about personality disorder problems. That person must have some kind of intelectual knowledge that they have a wrong view of themselves due to a disorder. So if one talk about having, eg avoidan personality disorder, then one must be telling the psychologist that one is actually a very loveable and beautiful person many people actually like. So if you get the diagnosis it would mean that the problems are due to psychological problems and not due to your own being. Thus a diagnosis is a consolation.
What do you think about this?

ANSWER: Hi Andrew,
I am not sure I understand the question, can you restate it?

QUESTION: Disorders like personality disorders are ego-syntonic. Therefore, if I understand it right, you think that you're eg socialy inept and personally unappealing if you have AvPD.
When such a person comes to a psychology he/she must have some kind of understanding that this is just psychological problems.
When one suspects that one has AvPD it seems that one is cryig out that one is actually not all the things one has been thinking for years.
How does this work?

Answer
First, someone would go not because they have a personality disorder, but because they were unhappy and seek out help. Most have no clue what is wrong unless they had some psychology classes and still could wrong they think they have.  In other cases those around them know something wrong get the person to seek out help. In any case, they rarely know exactly whats wrong. Yes most personality disorders are ego-syntonic making them difficult to treat.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/avoidant-personality-disorders
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/avoidant-personality-disorder-symptoms/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/personality-disorders/DS00562

Psychology

Paul Edward Zukowski