Psychology/what causes a phobia

I saw the (classic) 1954 movie "Them" about giant mutant ants menacing humans. I would have been about 2 years old when it came out, but if they showed it in '55 or '56 at the theaters, I would have been about 3 or 4. I remember just that there were giant ants. What I'm wondering is why this did not traumatize me? What process goes on that makes one thing scary or traumatic & another not? My guess is that I was so young that I didn't comprehend exactly what was happening, and that my parents didn't act scared & thereby frighten me.

Thank you for sending this question to me here at AllExperts! The development of phobias, as with many mental health concerns, is due to a collaboration of both nurture (in this case, seeing the movie "Them") and nature (having an inherent/genetic predisposition for anxiety). It may be that when you saw the film, you did not really attend to the threat of danger portrayed or that you may have perceived the threat, but disregarded it as unrealistic. Additionally, you may not be predisposed to develop anxiety.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York