Psychology/Strange Friendship !

Question
Greetings !
Hoping all is well !  I would like some input on this 'friendship' that I'm about to describe.
About a year and a half ago I was taking my usual long walk and I accidentally ran into an old High School Alumni that I had not seen in over 30 years and we got to talking and before long a 'friendship' ensued.  We met up several times for a cup of coffee and the association seemed amiable enough.
Since this person lives but a few short blocks from me - I invited him over the house for coffee on 2 occasions and since he owns a dog I asked him if I could join him when he walks his dog as this person told me that 'friendship' is something very important to him, etc.
As he is married - I also invited his wife to come with him for coffee to my house but apparently she is not interested because she declined via her husband and all sorts of excuses were given which is OK -- its a shame that I am not able to expand the friendship because the saying goes THE MORE THE MERRIER - but who knows what is really going on !
In the past I have had a tendency to come across 'friendships' in which I had to provide all of the suggestions and have had to 'steer' the association --- inevitably, this caused some big problems for me in the past which I would like to avoid.
Bottom Line - since this 'friend' came over the my house this past month for the second round of coffee - I have not heard from him.  I'm assuming something might be wrong and he and his family might be having problems.  However, I do think its time for this person to make the next initiative so I have decided not to call him unless he calls first.
Am I correct in wanting to give this person his 'space' ?!  He did not request it but I do get tired of having to be constantly work at a friendship when the other party should also provide some input.
Am I correct or must I go on being the 'mastermind' of all associations.
Thanks !

Answer
Gabriel,

Thank you for sending this question to me here at AllExperts. It sounds like you are the pursuer in this relationship. I would recommend maintaining the space and continuing to give him room to extend an invitation to you. There may be several reasons, which I will not theorize about here, for his failure to extend an invitation. The big message here is to sit back and let other people have an equal responsibility for growing the relationship.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna