Psychology/Expressions

Question
How do psychologists make a neutral expression?

1. When dealing with emotional problems and patients, having a neutral expression is necessary sometimes. How do they or anyone for that matter can keep a completely neutral expression even when overwhelmed with emotions?

2. Also, if someone is looking for/instigating a reaction, how do they not react and keep a neutral face?

Answer
Hello Brown,

Thank you for submitting these questions to me at AllExperts! Psychologists learn, over the course of their training how to make a neutral expression when it is appropriate. I prefer to me genuine in the therapy that I provide and therefore if I am overwhelmed by emotion in a session, I will likely express this, as appropriate. If there is some therapeutic reason for me to remain more detached and neutral, then I will do so. During these times, there are many strategies that I may use for this purpose. Without a clear scenario to work from, I would be unable to provide strategies and these would best be acquired through formal training.

To your second question, there are times when a client is pulling for a certain, desired reaction. During these time, again, I turn to my training and attempt to use the strategies that best suit the situation. I have to admit, however, that I sometimes err in my response. There is always room for improvement.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna