I don't know what's wrong with me. It takes me forever to get to sleep and when I do I can barely wake up. Do you have any advice that could help me?

Hi Alex,

Thank you for submitting this to me at! Difficulty getting to sleep can be caused by several factors. First, I would encourage you to shut off all electronic devices at least one hour before you intend to go to bed. This means, no laptop, no e-reader, preferably no heavy phone time for at least the last hour before bed. The blue light emitted by the electronic device can trick your brain into thinking that it is earlier in the day.

Secondly, I would recommend creating and sticking to a bedtime routine. This is something you should be able to do every night. For example, it could include working on puzzles, reading a (paper) book, or listening to music, brushing your teeth for the night, drinking a cup of herbal (non-caffeinated) tea, etc... The point is to have a set of activities that you brain and body see as leading to sleep.

It is important that you exercise a little every day as you may not bee tired enough from the day and therefore your body does not feel the need to sleep.

If you have tried all of these for at least two weeks, then I would recommend taking an over the counter sleep-aid, trying hypnosis to help you relax, or contacting your primary care physician to look at medical options.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York