Psychology/Interviewer body language

Question
Not sure if this is in within your area of expertise but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I just had a job interview over Skype and something confused me - at the end of the interview, the principle asked if I had any other questions, and I said no. Then he began to fidget *a lot* with his collar as he explained that they would contact candidates next week, and thanked me for my time. I'm wondering if this might give any insight into my chances?

The context: Overall my impression of the interview was positive. I felt rapport with the hiring committee - by the end, we were talking about hypothetical situations e.g. "If you came here, in your first months I feel you would be a great fit with x project." They were impressed with my resume, I felt they were selling me the job, we all laughed together several times. I certainly was nervous and didn't feel I aced it, but there were no questions that I felt I blundered completely.

That collar fidgeting was the only thing I couldn't really interpret. Do you have any thoughts?

Answer
Adrienne,

Thank you for submitting you question to me here at AllExperts! The collar fidgeting could have been his personal tic and meant nothing, or it could have been a sign that he was uncomfortable with interviewing/Skype interviewing. Without knowing him better, it would be hard to say. I would recommend, however, that if you have no questions that you expand your response from "no" to "not at this time; may I contact you by email or phone in the future if any should arise?" This lets the interviewer know that you are interested and willing to learn more about the position.

Best wishes!
Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna