Psychology/Personality Disorder?

I work closely with the public and in recent years I've encountered a behavior that is new and beyond odd to me. I'm simply wondering if there's a clinical name for these traits. These individuals react to something extremely obvious and factual that I've said with a bold retort stating just the opposite. In some cases; they've gone so far as to tell me "I'm imagining things". Case in point: I'm working to locate former classmates for a high school reunion. I have at my disposal both yearbooks and class photos-- sometimes spanning 12 years. During my efforts to notify individuals, I've had both family members of the classmates and fellow classmates tell me these people "didn't exist". In some cases, those making the statements KNOW I'm in possession of the aforementioned yearbooks/photos!

The only words I can come up with for this behavior would be delusional and arrogant. In some of these instances I know the individuals well enough to say there's NOT an IQ issue. Minutes ago I had a customer tell me that it's my imagination that he's having problems receiving email messages. I told him that I was staring at a bounce back message from his service provider in my inbox. Additionally; just yesterday we discussed by phone that he had failed to respond to 4 CRITICAL messages I had sent to him.

I'm at a stage in my life that my patience and tolerance for silliness has worn thin. To save my own sanity, I'm slowly cutting these irritants out of my life, but I would like some expert insight. Thank you!

Thank you for submitting your question to me here at AllExperts. What you are describing to me sounds very unlike a personality disorder (which are extremely rare) and more attributable to people wanting to maintain their privacy. As we move toward a society where fewer and fewer pieces of personal information are actually private, many people try are trying to restrict the available information more than ever.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York