Psychology/Psychology/ Confidentiality

Question
Have you ever had to breach confidentiality with a client? Can you tell me a little bit about this situation?

2.  Have you ever considered breaching confidentiality with a client, but decided against it? If so, can you tell me about this situation?

3.  Some people in the field of psychology feel that the rules for confidentiality are too strict while others think they are too lenient. What are your thoughts?

4.  What is one piece of real world advice you can give me about confidentiality?

5.    In your opinion, what is the most important thing I need to know about confidentiality?

Answer
Marie,

Thank you for submitting you questions to me at AllExperts. I have included my comments within your questions

1.   Have you ever had to breach confidentiality with a client?  Can you tell me a little bit about this situation? Yes, whenever a client makes clear statements about suicidal or homicidal ideation, I have had to breach confidentiality by contacting 9-1-1. In these instances, I have discussed this with the client first and they are aware of the breach.

2.   Have you ever considered breaching confidentiality with a client, but decided against it? If so, can you tell me about this situation? Yes I have. When a client reports suicidal ideation and we are able to create a plan for safety between sessions, which often includes calling 9-1-1 on themselves if needed. In these situations, I have felt comfortable not breaching confidentiality.

3.   Some people in the field of psychology feel that the rules for confidentiality are too strict while others think they are too lenient. What are your thoughts? I think they are sufficient to protect the client and society equally.

4.   What is one piece of real world advice you can give me about confidentiality? Consult, consult, consult. Always have a few mentors or peers with whom you can consult with about ethical concerns.

5.    In your opinion, what is the most important thing I need to know about confidentiality? That it is to protect your client.

Best wishes,

Dr. Luna

Psychology

Kristina Luna