Psychology/Goal setting problem

For some time, I have had a problem put ideas, goals, plans to writing. Its really weird; If I start an exercise regiment, put it to paper or on a word doc. in my computer, soon after, I'll abandon it totally. It is as if all the motivation I had putting it in writing just vanished.

I have tried to sidestep this weird mental quirk by recording goals and such on a digital recorder, but I get the same result. I use to see a psychologist for something unrelated, and told her one day about this problem of mine. In short, she said she had never heard of such a thing and wouldn't know how to help me with this. I hope you can help/point me in the right direction.

This is not an unusual problem. Whether goals are written down or kept mentally, people drift from those goals almost immediately unless specific efforts are made to maintain the progress. My recommendation would be to start much smaller than your current goals. For instance, if your goal is to work out five times a week, set a goal to work out today. Just set the goals for today. You can record your progress on paper or digitally, but make the goals specific, measurable, and small. I believe this will assist you better in meeting your goals.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York