Psychology/Defensive Feelings

When are defensive feeling justified? Are they always maladaptive or do they have a true purpose? Do they always represent a lack of confidence that is reflected in the mistreatment of other people, or is there a positive use for defensive feelings?

Thank you for sending me this question here at AllExperts! Defensive feelings, just like all feelings, are neither "right" nor "wrong." There are times when you may actually be attacked by another person, and in that situation, it would be appropriate to feel defensive. There are many times, however, when the defensive feelings are born out of miscommunication or placing feelings from a different situation onto a current situation.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York