Who came up with the theory of "six universal emotions"? And how much accepted is this theory in modern psychology?

Thank you for submitting this question to me here at AllExperts. Paul Ekman was the pioneer of the research on the six basic emotions, you can read about him here ( As far as their use in contemporary psychology, they are generally used in research and in teaching emotional expression with various populations (Autism Spectrum Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, for examples).

Here is a link to some websites with additional information:

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna  

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York