I believe they consider happy and sad to be opposite emotions? How do they determine what an emotion's opposite is? I was a psych major in college and have no idea. lol. And since you're specialized in hypnosis I might as well ask, what do you consider to be the limitations of hypnosis? I've been hypnotized before to improve my confidence and that lasted maybe a month. lol.

Thank you for submitting your questions to me here at AllExperts! In regards to the opposition of emotions, I believe the division of happy/sad is more of a popular cultural division rather than a scientifically made one.

In regards to the limitations of hypnosis, well, the person's investment and belief in the treatment are the major limitations. If, for example, you want to change a habit (i.e. stop smoking) and are utilizing hypnosis to assist you with this, you will need to do more than be hypnotized just once. Ideally, you should have several session of hypnosis, either in a therapist's office or pre-recorded, to maintain the treatment until the habit is firmly changed. Additionally, hypnosis should never be used as a stand alone treatment, but used in combination with other treatments as a supportive package. Staying with the smoking cessation example, a person wanting to quit smoking might also utilize cessation aids (gum, patches, medications, etc...), he or she might stop smoking with a good friend and support each other through the process, or join a support group. If you cannot treat a concern without hypnosis, then you will not likely be successful treating it only with hypnosis.

Best wishes,
Dr. Luna

Kristina Luna

I specialize in clinical psychology with particular experience in clinical hypnosis, borderline personality disorder, LGBTQ, and aging. I have not worked with children for several years and would not feel comfortable answering child and adolescent based questions. My interests in adult psychology are fairly diverse, so please, sent me a question and lets see if I can help.

I have been working in the field of psychology, to some degree, since 1998. Initially, my work was more behaviorally based, but through my educational and training experiences, I have expanded to a more eclectic viewpoint. I have taught introductory psychology and have worked in college counseling. I have also studied hypnosis for several years, completing my dissertation on basic research in hypnosis. Finally, I completed my internship and residency in a transitional treatment program for young adults (18 - 16) with difficulty transitioning from home.

Doctor of Psychology 2009 Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, Pennsylvania Master of Arts in Psychology 2002 MCP Hahnemann/Drexel University Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Bachelor of Arts in Psychology 1997 Keuka College Keuka Park, New York