Psychology/Aspies

Question
I know you wrote that you aren't a clinician so I don't know if this is out of the scope of what you know but I was wondering if there are many people with Asperger's syndrome that use and understand sarcasm well? My uncle thinks he has it (and has some clinical psych grad work under his belt) and he is sarcastic more than anything else. And a therapist I was seeing suggested I might be borderline Asperger's and honestly I feel I've become very good at detecting it although honestly not a fan. I should avoid France. lol. What do you know on the subject?

Answer
Based on my academic knowledge, I would say that there is a range of understanding of sarcasm among people with Asperger's syndrome.  They might have an "in Joke" with regard to sarcasm that is only understood by people who share their interest in a particular subject.  For example,Sheldon on the TV show, The Big Bang, is pretty Aspie.  He doesn't understand sarcasm about social situations - he is very concrete about certain things, but he understands it about his scientific field.

You know, our understanding of autism - in both its mild and severe forms is just in it's infancy.  You should only get a diagnosis when you have had a very extensive work-up from a Ph.D. psychologist who does a thorough assessment of behavior.  Just being a little quirky doesn't buy you a diagnosis.

Psychology

Katherine ONeill