Psychology/PSYCHOLOGY

Question
In modern psychology many people talk about mindfulness and acceptance.
I understand it as a way of helping people looking at their feelings/emotions from a distance instead of them influencing you in the wrong way. I was told that in accepting oneself there could be a problem. The person told me that you must identify yourself with who you were in the past and is in the now. Acceptance could make you looking at yourself from a distance. I was told something like that.
It's strange that we need such a fancy word as mindfulness when we could call it "being human". It's sad, I think, that people think of Buddhism when they hear this word (even our western traditions have had traditions of mindfulness).  Some people say that mindfulness is a way for modern people to show their longing for religion (without needing to go to church).
I am by no means an expert in this area so I write this to you who is the expert in psychology. What do you say about this?

Answer
Mindfulness and acceptance have very specific meanings in psychology.

Read the information at this link:  http://www.actmindfully.com.au/acceptance_&_commitment_therapy

Mindfulness refers to the concept of living in the moment and experiencing the current sensations, perceptions and thoughts, rather than ruminating about the past or worrying about the future.

Acceptance refers to the ability to tolerate and accept painful and uncomfortable feelings and thought, rather than run away from those feelings.

Psychology

Katherine ONeill