Psychology/emotions

Question
Hi!
I have heard that we have primary and secondary emotions. It is said that we may be sad (primary) but then experience anger (secondary). I've also heard that anger can be primary and sadness can be secondary. How's that?
I also hear a lot of different terms like thoughts, emotions, affects, feelings. What role do they play in primary and secondary emotions?

Is it true that when you have certain psychological diagnoses you may have difficult expressing primary emotions like sadness. Then you become so frustrated and stressed that you may even need to express anger (secondary)?

I would be very grateful for your answer!

Answer
Primary emotions are the feelings that we have.  Secondary emotions are how we feel about our primary emotions.   It is not uncommon for people to react to their own anger with sadness.  For example, if you have a great deal of anger at someone and it has made it difficult to have a relationship with them, you may feel sad about that.  The sadness would be a secondary emotion.  

Emotion, affect and feelings are describing the same thing.  Thoughts are not emotions.

The relationship between psychological problems and emotions varies widely. I can't make a generalization about that. People develop symptoms when they try to ignore their feelings or bury them.  People with bipolar disease experience emotional mood swings that have little to do with what is happening in their environment.  People with depression experience excessive sadness.

Psychology

Katherine ONeill